Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Tape It Temporarily

My husband recently requested a design with a favorite quote on it. I assumed he meant for his office, so I made this MANLY design with deep, rich greens, browns, using a picture of the Kansas landscape. I thought I mastered what he desired. 

I was wrong.

I thought it was for his office.

I was wrong.

I thought he'd want a manly font and rustic feel.

I was wrong.

"Well, I like the font for the author, and I like that swirly thing, but I don't like the rest of it. I want something brighter, with more color. And I like word clouds. And it's not for my office at work, it's for home."

Facepalm.

I redesigned it, and this time he really liked it. Here's what we came up with...


He really liked it, but then decided the greyish box threw it off and made it harder to read. 
So here's the final version. 


I had one stipulation to designing this for my hubs: that we order it as a canvas. Let's be honest, canvases are expensive. No way around it. I've always wanted one, but sadly, even my own professional print company I used to work with, even at my cost, was expensive. But I love them because they are bright, have texture, and last. So those were my demands. And we were able to find a good online canvas printing company. 

But what size?

I knew where I wanted to hang it. My hubs requested it go in our front room/main room so that we can see it and be reminded often. I couldn't decide to order an 8x10 or an 11x14. So here's my tip:

Print the size you have in mind. In my case, I really thought an 8x10 would work. If you're thinking 11x14 or larger, print it in quadrants and tape them together, trim edge, then hang with tape. 


Print it. Save ink-use fast draft setting since it's only a template to hang on the wall temporarily till you choose a size. 


Trim it and hang it with clear tape. 



In this case, I could tell it was way too small for this spot. We ordered an 11x14 from the Canvas People online {60% off which was a great savings!!! $28 plus free shipping for an 11x14 canvas is a steal!}. Even though I don't like the size, I'm still keeping it up until my print comes. 

When doing this tape it temporarily trick, another nice part is you can put it in different locations and see where exactly you like it the best, without ruining your walls with unnecessary nail holes. Not that I've ever done that before. Ever. Not even. 

Etsy print available here.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments! We'll be sure to post them soon!